Friday, May 1, 2009

I found this interesting blog from a basketball player who sits the bench for Ohio State. I thought it might make interesting reading for some of you who have nothing better to do than read blogs. Just joking.

Here

I just figured out how to do that. My life is fuller now.

I am getting a bit bogged down with The Fountainhead. We had a class meeting this morning and I just love how everything works out in the end. So next week begins that final stretch for seniors. Leaving school. Starting something new. This morning, one senior young man stopped in my room and suggested that he's frightened of the future. I think that's one of the dangers in life. Being afraid of the unknown.

A friend of mine from elementary and high school spoke of becoming a director in Hollywood. We all kind of laughed because, well, what's a kid from Robesonia thinking when he says he wants to be a director in Hollywood. Seriously. That's like me saying I want to be a rock star.

So after a few years, Fred (I haven't changed his name) disappeared from people's memories. No one seemed to know where he was or what he was doing. Speculation was that he had gone west, but little was known.

A couple summers ago, an elementary classmate put together a little reunion of our elementary school class. Fred was there, and told his story.

After a year at Penn State, he went west and went to college to be a film director and producer, and worked for a few years doing that. After awhile, he formed his own company, producing presentations for industry meetings and the like, so if Microsoft stockholders were meeting, he would put together the presentation. His business grew, he hired more and more people, and he understood well enough to surround himself with really creative and intelligent employees. Today, he is semi retired, has a ranch, three kids, and had bought a pretty neat RV for the trip in. Little kid makes good from Robesonia. He wasn't the smartest kid, he wasn't a nerd, he just wasn't afraid of taking steps that many of us didn't have the guts to take. He had leadership qualities. I think his parents were exceptionally supportive. I think he looked at life differently than most.

Fear of failure is one of the things that is most paralyzing for us. I often get the "what if's." What if this happens or what if that happens, and that's really unhealthy because if you look at everything that could possibly go wrong, you will be paralyzed. Life is a series of chances that we take, but we also need to persevere through the difficult times. We can't give up easily.

For all you blog followers of mine, have a great weekend.

1 comment:

B. Christman said...

Wow... Now that's an inspirational story...

Have a great weekend Mr. Miller.