Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mid week

It's Wednesday, it's like a Thursday because we have Friday off.
Traditions....
As a kid growing up, this was always a week of traditions. We always colored Easter eggs on Saturday night with mom helping. Then after church on Sunday, we would have an Easter egg hunt. Sometimes we were inside if the weather was decent and sometime, more often, they were outside. It was nice growing up in a semi-large family, though at times, I didn't like being the runt. I was the third of four children, my brother is four years older than I am, my sister, whose birthday is today in fact, was two years older than I am and my younger sister came along six years after me. They were the Easter egg hunt competitors. We also got Easter egg baskets with lots of candy. That's where I discovered hollow bunnies. As I recall, I think we also got candy at church. It was also a time for new dress shoes. It's funny how your mind works. I'm sitting here blogging and this stuff is coming back to me. Trips to the shoe store for new spring shoes. We used to get shoes at a shoe store and not a department store. My mom would take my brother and me to Dingers in Myerstown for our little suits. We always dressed in suits for church and that's where we shopped. Sometimes I'm pretty sure we got shoes there. I would get two pairs of shoes a year. One pair of dress shoes and one pair of sneakers. I don't remember when I began to buy shoes because I liked them, but at some point in time, I did. Easter memories.

I don't know how much I've talked about my family. I just gave the ages of my siblings. My mom and dad knew each other in high school, they both went to Lebanon High School, and they both graduated in 1943. Dad joined the Navy and also went to Penn State, graduating in 1948 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, while mom went to Lebanon Valley College, graduating in 1948 with a chemistry degree. They actually married between their junior and senior years, being apart for the first year of their marriage. She worked for Hershey in the lab until my brother was born. After that, she was a stay at home mom. In 1954 we lived in Avon in a home my parents built. In 1961 we moved to Robesonia in a really old house. Big and old and great fun in the summers, because we had the creek and a barn and all kinds of stuff to to keep a kid occupied. More later...

No comments: