Monday, April 20, 2009

Anniversary

Today is the tenth anniversary of the Columbine tragedy. I am surprised at how quickly the time has passed. Schools have not been the same since. In fact, society hasn't been the same since. Flippant remarks which used to go unnoticed now call for notification of parents, administrators and perhaps police agencies. Cryptic poems in which students at one time vented are now looked upon as threatening. No threat is overlooked. All are taken seriously. Innocence has died a little bit more.

The weekend was beautiful. The grass is mowed, the weeds pulled. I did happen to break my lawn mower but I believe that is fixable. Hope so. One more thing I don't need to replace right now. I've seen a few students who appear to have been a bit too long in the sun. And one teacher. But today, it's rainy and rather gloomy outside, so spring hasn't fully made her appearance.

This year is just flying by. It's truly amazing how quickly September becomes April. My seniors are so anxious to move on. The juniors likewise, but I think they're a bit more realistic having another year.

Is the college use of American Indian Mascots Racist? That's a question for discussion today.

No comments: