Thursday, March 12, 2009

Just updating. Preparations for PSSA have fallen apart in period eleven. Not a big surprise. Not many real focused students here. Still pondering the car, but it's a day closer. We are in the midst of musical season. Lots of kids are tired. Don't know what else to write so I'll just keep writing. I can't wait for spring, really summer, because summer is the best. Shorts and all, no school, sleeping in, golf, reading for pleasure. Those are some of the joys of teaching. Traveling. That's great too. We don't yet have any real vacation planned, we are going to wait until my daughter either has a job or doesn't have a job before we plan anything. We used to vacation in North Myrtle Beach almost every year. We of course did Disney a lot but that was more a special occasion trip, but Myrtle Beach, golf and the beach, and frankly, I think Myrtle Beach beaches are among the best I've ever visited. They are clean, you don't have to pay to use them, and you can wade out in the water forever it seems. The water temperature is pretty darn nice, usually in the low 80's by July. We never went to Myrtle Beach until about 20 years ago. We were traditionally Maryland beach type people, usually Ocean City, but we stopped going there when we started going to Myrtle Beach. The only drawbacks are that there is no boardwalk at Myrtle Beach and the drive is quite long. If you make it in nine hours, you've made good time because the traffic gets crazy. There are two thing at Myrtle Beach that I must get. One is the salt water taffy they sell at Barefoot Landing. You can watch them make it in this really old piece of equipment. It pulls the taffy and they add the flavors while it operates. The other, and this is a bit more nutritional, is dinner at Outrigger. They have all you can eat dinners. The steamed shrimp is just wonderful and they also serve these hushpuppies which you dip in a mustard sauce. I'm sure these aren't good for you but whatever. It's vacation. You see lots of buffets in Myrtle Beach, but most of them taste very commercial, all the food seems like it's been made in huge amounts, which of course it has, so we don't really do those. We usually take some time to do a family miniature golf outing which I almost always win. I do enjoy the golf in Myrtle Beach as well. One year we were down for Thanksgiving. My son and I were golfing on Thanksgiving day and after warning him to be careful not to hit a ball near the main road which runs by that hole, I hit one that begins it's journey across the road and into the parking lot of the hospital across the road. I watched in horror as my ball bounced and bounced and I waited to hear it crash into someone's windshield. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Another of the things we like to do is go to Carolina Opry. It's a great show. We've seen it a number of times, but it's always entertaining. These are some of the best memories of vacations.

7 comments:

Cole said...

i think period 11 is the best class and i know its your favorite we got nate that about says it all.

Mr. Miller said...

Nate the skate.

Erin said...

I love it how Cole says we're your favorite period but all the time you tell us how much you hate us. (I know you're just kidding)

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Miller said...

Just so you know I'm kidding.

Mr. Miller said...

I'm curious who deleted his or her comment....ooooooo.

Erin said...

They probably said something bad. Ooooo