Friday, February 13, 2009

It's Friday. My wife and I are heading out of town for the long weekend. PSSA testing is over for now. It's now time to prepare for the reading portion. I enjoyed Cal Thomas this morning in the Patriot. "Nation needs 'Hoosiers' spirit." Read it. It's an interesting perspective on things.

I made reservations for my daughter's graduation trip yesterday. Fly down, graduate, fly back. I know we'll have a bit more time than just that, but that's how it feels.

I won't be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. Tuesday I'll be attending a conference on tech education. I am a big supporter of technical education. I believe that more students should pursue that than perhaps do. I am obviously not opposed to college, but college isn't for all students. Two year degrees are great. I personally enjoy watching shows where they work on engines, motorcycle engines, car engines, plane engines. I wouldn't mind taking a class or two to learn more about engines. One of the things I used to enjoy when I was younger was summer jobs where I was able to do different things. I have laid block, built homes, done basic wiring, roofing, siding, and it's a great and honest way to make a living. I did it for a little extra cash but it did make me appreciate the work I do a bit more. At times putting on a roof in 99 degree weather seemed exhausting, but the full time guys would tell me it was a whole lot easier than putting on a roof in 25 degree weather with a wind chill of 10 is a whole lot more difficult. You can't really wear gloves, you can't feel your hands after awhile and once you get cold, it's hard to get warm, so I was thankful that I was able to avoid that. I don't like the cold. I digressed a bit there. for whatever reason, I think working at an airport could be cool. A number of years ago, a few of us faculty members spent a few days at Penn Tech, a division of Penn State University in Williamsport. There you can learn to work on airplane engines. Since then I've learned that all planes get their engines rebuilt usually every couple thousand hours of use. That's why it's not uncommon to see old planes. They must be maintained to high safety standards. It's also why it's quite expensive to own and maintain a plane. My brother had a plane, actually over the years he had two, but he has since sold it. I flew with him a couple times. I have posted a few pictures of him and me flying. I'll see if I did here.

Apparently I didn't. If you read this, comment. Just seeing who is following my blogs.

No comments: