Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I haven't blogged in awhile. I am currently giving PSSA tests to juniors so here goes. I did go to the dentist yesterday. I did find out what root canals cost and I am thankful for insurance. It looks like I'll need a crown or else I'll never be able to chew completely with any force on that tooth, so some time in the near future we're off to see the dentist again.
I had an interesting weekend sort of. My son bought me a cup of Starbucks coffee. Near there was construction of a new fast food looking structure and I was so hoping it was the Chipotle I was talking about in class, that I actually stopped and asked the one worker what it was going to be. He said it's a Dunkin Donuts...
Oh well. DD is certainly making a comeback. There was one in Lebanon that closed a long time ago and now they are popping up in a variety of places.
I do love ice cream cake though it's not good for my figure.
A few weeks ago, I opened a facebook account and created a profile. Since then, I have connected with over 40 people who I either went to high school or college with. Mostly college and since I went to college quite far away, many of my former classmates from (gasp) 30 years ago when I graduated have spread throughout the country and Canada. One of the people I connected with was an old friend who I worked with during the summer. He and his wife met my wife and me for dinner at Red Robin on Sunday. He said he reads this. Hi John! You rock...!
Another of my friends is a minister at a church in the Canadian Rockies. The pictures he has posted are spectacular. One of my high school friends is living in Colorado and he works with search and rescue out there. His pictures are gorgeous as well. A girl I went to college with has a farmish type place in Montana though she lived in Chicago for 25 years. That's quite a change. So as resistant to technology as I am, I must say this has been a delight connecting with old friends. Our perception of who we were and what we were like is often quite different from other's perceptions of who we were and what we were like. I don't feel as though I have changed that much, but I suspect I have. I think in many ways I am much more serious than I used to be and yet I'd like to be much more spontaneous and carefree. Seeing the pictures of my friends and where they live creates in me a desire to do more traveling. I've posted a number of pictures here and I've been fortunate to have been able to do a lot of traveling, but there are still so many places I'd like to visit and things I'd like to do. Part of me would love to just get in the car, throw some stuff in the trunk, fill the gas tank and head...anywhere, and stop when and where I feel like it, take some pictures, meet people, find little local places along the way to grab a bite to eat and then just keep going, in no particular direction. A totally random trip. Maybe one summer. Just go. Age...it's a weird thing.

No comments: