Monday, December 7, 2009

Just reading Alan's blog, and I guess in a way I was answering his question. Don't know why he was inspired to write that at this point in time. Perhaps, just perhaps, it's that time of year.

Yes, and I hate to admit this, there are bad kids. They now have the ability to choose to be bad. I also think all kids have the capacity to be both good or bad. I think it's choice by this time. They know they are getting away with stuff.

For years I taught kids who classified themselves as bad, but what they mean was bad student bad. I loved those kids. I still love those kids. They are real. They seldom cheat, grades aren't really that important for them, they just want to pass and get on with real life. They'll be great because they understand themselves in many ways better than the "good" student kids. The worst cheaters I have ever had were in the top classes. But don't try to schmooze me. That's something I hate.

Eddie Haskell. He was the character on Ozzie and Harriet and he was always sucking up to the adults. He was so transparent is was ridiculous. I see through that pretty easily.

So yes, Alan, there are bad kids and they come in all shapes and sizes.

2 comments:

Beth Barto said...

Wasn't Eddie Haskell on Leave it Beaver?

Mr. Miller said...

Why you are right. He was.