Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cell Phones

Do we really need cell phones? Are they the new necessity? I have to laugh. My cell phone contract is 13 years old. I text. I hardly get any calls. Currently, it's my only means of communication and I still don't get any calls. That's not exactly true, I get a few, but I think more than anything I'm using this stupid thing in my pocket to play games. Taking pictures and texting them to people. Silly. I haven't ever used it for business. Email? Is that necessary. We communicate more easily but do we communicate better?

I took yesterday off. The water company turned our water off. Then they charged me 3o to turn it back on. Do you ever feel helpless? Like if you really wanted to spend as little money as you can, you simply can't avoid these silly little fees. I'm becoming more and more convinced that you don't own a home, it owns you. I have to feed it, clothe it, pay taxes on it, pay to have water supplied to it, gas, cable....you name it. Is there anyone who can really live without money?

Perhaps a homeless person is homeless but in some ways a homeless person if free of all the encumbrances that those of us who own homes must endure. I don't want to be homeless, but some people rent. Renting puts a lot of the responsibility on the landlord. I often think about being a landlord but the idea of people living in and abusing something I own is unnerving.

I was at Lowes yesterday. I like Lowes. I think it would be a fun part time job. I wonder if employees get a discount? I'd probably never bring home a paycheck. I'd spend it before I ever got home.

No comments: