Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy Birthday Megan

Today is my daughter's 24th birthday. Twenty four years ago I was sitting in the hospital waiting for her to be born. It's really quite cliche, but having children really does change your perspective on things. Suddenly, you aren't the center of the universe. I just learned though that some of our students are expecting, you know, expecting, and it's not what you would call an accident. I find this difficult to comprehend. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I think there is a proper way that things should be done. Graduating from high school should, in my humble opinion, come first. Then get married and then have kids. Having a full time job with benefits is perhaps a nice idea as well. I, like many people, feel that some times people's irresponsible decisions cost the responsible people more than it does the people making those irresponsible decisions. Nothing is free in life. I work for the things I have. That's the way it should be. One time in my life I was forced to collect unemployment and I found it humiliating. Twice I have lost jobs through no fault of my own, and I did what I had to because people depended on me. I wouldn't have brought children into the work without some sense of how I would support them.

1 comment:

Beth Barto said...

Can you imagine what life must be like to want to get pregnant when you are in high school? With many one-parent households or two-parent households where both parents work, I think they forget to spend time with their children and let them know they are loved.