Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blogging.
School does start next week. I don't know if I'll get in there before next week which makes me feel irresponsible, but in reality, I would probably just go hang out. I haven't golfed since Saturday. I plan to tomorrow.
My daughter bought a new car last night with some help from dad. That's me. She needed a new car, but I was surprised at how popular Honda Fits are right now. It's actually a cute little car and seems pretty solid.
I'm watching the news, and they are replaying some of last week's town meeting in Lebanon. I fear posting my true political feelings, because for everyone who agrees with me, there are people who disagree, and it's weird because as a teacher, I am discouraged from sharing political positions. If I tell you I like a certain writer, and that writer is one who supports my political positions, isn't that necessarily stating, indirectly, what my position is.
For example, there was a woman on the news this morning who said, "Any time the government gets involved in something, they tend to muck it up." Now I won't say whether or not I agree with this woman, but the fact that I quoted her means I find her statement somehow worthy of being repeated. What would this infer?
The dog is sitting on my lap as I blog. I would appreciate any input from anyone on how to housebreak him. He's not doing his best, and I've been left alone with this task now, though if I had my way, I wouldn't have a dog right now. That's not to say I don't like him, but because I like him doesn't mean I don't have some idea of how this makes our lives much more complicated because every decision we make as long has we have a dog must be made considering that fact. How long has the dog been alone? Considering our Florida situation, this contributes a whole new set of circumstances to my life. I tend to be sensitive to animals. I don't want to be one of those pet owners who is negligent. I don't like the idea of penning a dog for more than a couple hours at a time. So in the back of my mind, a clock is always ticking. At night, I listen for any sign of his needing to go out.
So this is now my new life with a dog.

2 comments:

B. Christman said...

Wow... It's been a while since I've been on Blogger... Sorry, Mr. Miller, I'd completely forgotten about it.

Well, I'm here now, so I may as well help with your housebreaking issue.

When I was housebreaking my dog, I would take him out once every hour and immediately after something got him excited (Playing, meeting new people, stuff like that). If he went, I gave him a treat. If he didn't, I didn't give him anything. Also, whenever we left the house or went to sleep, we put him in a cage (The technical term is "Crate" but I say it's a cage). The trick is to find one that's big enough for the dog to lie down in, but that doesn't provide much space for it to walk around. Dogs don't relieve themselves in the area where they sit or sleep, so it won't go until you take it out of the cage, and I suggest taking it outside immediately after you do so.

According to what I've heard, if your dog can go four months without an "accident" it is officially housebroken.

But you have to watch the dog like a hawk. If it looks like it has to go, chances are that it does, and you need to get it outside. The tell-tale signs of needing to go are sniffing around and the all-to-obvious squatting or raising of the leg.

Anyway... I'm hoping to start blogging fairly often again. I think that if I pretend that I'm going to be graded on it, I'll be able to remember. haha.

Mr. Miller said...

Thanks Ben. One of the problems we have is we didn't hit it hard enough to get his started before we had to get back to work. We are also trying the pad training; they're like diapers, but he confuses them with rugs and towels. Not good. I should hire you to do his training.

Haven't forgotten about the book club idea. My schedule has changed somewhat, but I still want to attempt it once things settle down.